Climate Change Impact Modeller – Potsdam
This position will focus on the assessment of physical climate change risks and the development of related products. With strong ties to academic research, our team develops and operates risk models for various climate-driven natural hazards.
We are looking for a sharp, energetic and organized person with a positive attitude to join our Climate Risk Center team in the Potsdam office. The candidate will be responsible for the development and implementation of research-driven models for physical climate change risks. As part of a global team the candidate will need to develop productive working relationships with a geographically distributed team. We are looking for teammates who care deeply about environmental issues, who thrive in a fast-paced, fun and challenging environment, who thrive on innovation and are excited to shape our young infrastructure.
Scope of Responsibility
- Work closely with team members and other stakeholders.
- Develop, operate and maintain models for physical climate change risks.
- Implement, test and document risk computations.
- Control the data quality at all computational steps.
- Promote best engineering practices to ensure quality assurance.
- Promote best team communication practices and train employees.
- Anticipate problems/opportunities and adapt to new challenges.
Specific Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Hands-on experience with hazard/impact modelling for natural hazards, particularly flooding, wildfire or tropical/extratropical cyclones
- Experience in data manipulation and software engineering, particularly Python and Matlab.
- Experience in handling and processing of large weather/climate datasets.
- Strong logical thinking with a solid background in mathematics and statistics.
- Interest in data quality management and project management.
- High motivation for joining a dedicated, technically savvy and enthusiastic team.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to work as part of a multi-cultural and geographically distributed software development team.
- Self-motivated, pro-active and demonstrating an exceptional drive towards delivery.
- Practical experience in industry or academia in natural hazard modelling, catastrophe risk modelling, climate change impact research or a related field.
- MSc or PhD in Mathematics, Physics, Geosciences, Environmental Engineering or related fields.
Due to the great number of applications we receive for each of our open vacancies, we are unable to respond on an individual basis.
To all recruitment agencies: MSCI does not accept unsolicited CVs/Resumes. Please do not forward CVs/Resumes to any MSCI employee, location or website. MSCI is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited CVs/Resumes.
MSCI Inc. is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversifying its workforce. It is the policy of the Firm to ensure equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, age, sex, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, citizenship, disability, marital and civil partnership/union status, pregnancy (including unlawful discrimination on the basis of a legally protected pregnancy/maternity leave), veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law